Higgins team volunteers at HARP Southend
Three members of the Higgins team recently spent a rewarding day helping Southend charity HARP by giving their old furniture shop a face lift by painting it. HARP is a homeless charity aiming to end rough sleeping in Southend-on-Sea and help local people overcome homelessness for good.
As part of Higgins Volunteering Policy, the team were able to take time out and volunteer in the local community. The Policy has been established to provide employees with the opportunity to offer time and a helping hand to charities, social enterprises and community groups and also give personal benefits to the team themselves.
Emily, one of the volunteers said, “It was great to spend the day painting a charity shop for the homeless charity HARP in Southend. I had actually never used a roller before, so it was something different for me to try, and I ended up having a lot of fun! We got to meet the amazing people that work at the charity and learn about what they do. It was a very rewarding experience overall.”
Higgins is promoting a range of volunteering opportunities throughout the business and encouraging staff to consider additional ways to create lasting benefits for the local communities in which we are working. There are a number of volunteering opportunities for staff to consider including:
- Working with local schools eg supporting homework clubs, STEM activity or career fairs
- Work with job seekers to help them back into work
- Work with people with learning needs or disability
- Helping a social enterprise with business planning
- Working with suppliers to engage in community activities
- Working with local community groups to refurbish/improve local facilities or green spaces